Thursday, May 26, 2011

A Lines


(Picture stolen from Google Images)

For some reason almost all the haircuts I give are A Lines. Maybe its because they are so cute! I just love A Lines, but get a little nervous cutting them. A Lines are one of the hardest cutes to do. We were told over and over how hard they can be. That made me scared out of my mind to do them! But just my luck the first cut I ever do on a real person's head was an A Line. I was terrified. All the sudden I couldn't remember anything I was taught. I had no clue how to start it or what to do. I ran and grabbed my instructor to just start it and give me a guide to follow. The haircut turned out great and the girl loved it!  I was so happy and realized that they really are not that bad.

Then about 90% of the hair cuts have done since that day have been A Lines. I am getting more and more confident in them and really like doing them now. Each of my instructors does it a little different. So I have had so many ways shown to me and I finally found one that i really like! Even though I am getting very confident I usually still have one of my instructors come and give me a guide, because that first layer you cut is the most important. Once they would cut the first layer I could just go at it and do it almost perfect. I am still learning the little things that make it just right.

But today was a little different. I had a lady bring in a picture of what she wanted. (That is another fear of mine. Trying to copy a picture and get it to look just like that! This was the first time I have had to face that fear.) The picture was a slight A Line with lots of layers. I looked at it and then looked at her hair and asked a few questions. She didn't want it just like the picture, she wanted her hair a little longer, wanted to keep her part in the middle instead of doing a side part, and not as stacked in the back. So before I got started I went and explained to my instructor how I would cut this cut to see if I was thinking the right way. She said that is excatly how she would cut it! I was so happy!! She then asked if I wanted her to come and give me a guide...I said no. It was time for me to do it on my own. I went over and started cutting. I spent forever on that first layer trying to get it so perfect. When I was done with that layer I went and got her to check it. I didn't want to mess up my guide and then have to go and redo the whole haircut after. She came over and checked it and said it looked great and to keep going. So I kept going and finished the whole cut, threw some layers in it and thined out the bulky parts. I made sure my client liked it and went to get it checked off. My instructor came over and checked and only had to fix a few minor things. I was so happy!!

I faced two of my biggest fears today. Having to go off a picture, and doing and A Line all by myself.  And I did it!! And I actually did a pretty good job. But sadly I forgot to take pictures. For some reason I never think to take before and after pictures of hair cuts, or if I do its when the cut is all done. But I will get better at  that and start taking more pictures. I am pretty good at taking them when I color, but not cut. I need to work on that!

2 comments: